The Fold began as a dedicated insurance firm when the AFS licensing regime was first introduced in 2002. Since then we’ve developed a reputation for a unique capability to manage the interplay between commercial objectives and maintaining compliance with the regulatory requirements that apply to the offer of insurance.
Helping general insurance businesses to design the optimum distribution strategy through affinity relationships and channels is what we do best. We also specialise in alternative risk structures including captives and discretionary mutuals.
Brokers industry-wide know us for our contract review service. It’s considered the best around because we provide drafting changes that really work and avoid insurance jargon so that brokers’ clients can easily understand what’s covered. We’re focused on practical outcomes not just advice and we enjoy helping the industry educate its SME buyers.
We specialise in providing accessible, cost effective services to specialist insurance businesses, including brokers, underwriting agencies, Lloyd’s Australian coverholders, discretionary mutuals, captives and other intermediaries. Whether you’re establishing your business, seeking a licence, setting up new distribution channels, or wanting to sell, we’d love to help!
- Strategic regulatory matters
- AFS licensing including applications, variations and responsible manager appointments
- Insurance policy wording, drafting and legal sign off
- Disclosure documents including Product Disclosure Statements (PDSs)
- Reviewing websites and other marketing and promotional material
- Product development/new insurance products
- Distribution arrangements
- Appointing authorised representatives, referrers and distributors
- Monitoring and supervision systems and processes
- Breach management and reporting
- ASIC liaison, investigations and enforceable undertakings
- EDR complaints and PI issues
- Business establishment and structuring
- Sales and acquisitions, portfolio transfers and insurance business transfers
- Commercial agreements including binders, distribution agreements, joint ventures, contractor and employment agreements
- Alternative risk structures, mutuals and captives
- Contract review
- Microinsurance has been around for some time now, but we think the new up-and-comer is parametric insurance. Parametric solutions take the ‘pain point’ out of the claims process and provide a targeted and tailored way of hedging the risk. Whether it is the risk of rain washing out your wedding to more high-tech measures for flood risk – it’s becoming more and more popular.
- Everyone is focused on the SME market and those who are well placed to tap into this market will be streets ahead of others. You’ll need to be nimble, responsive and flexible to be successful – exactly the qualities that will make insurtechs shine. Currently insurtechs and incumbents are collaborating to enable the insurance process rather than disrupt it (especially regarding claims solutions). We think that now insurtechs have a ‘foot in the door’, the time is ripe for them to do more around product design, underwriting and the use of data for underwriting, especially revising legacy systems to take advantage of data and technology.
- Many are suggesting it’s very early days in a three year period of hardening in the insurance market. This stage in the cycle is usually when businesses start to investigate alternative risk financing vehicles like captives and mutuals. Mutuals are providing insurance buying groups with the power to take back control by offering insurance-like protection for uninsurable or hard-to-place risks or helping them to reduce volatility from rising premiums and claims costs.
The Fold is always very willing to help. They are solicitors that have developed highly specialised knowledge and skills around
the Australian Insurance Broking sector in the areas of compliance, contractual liability and insurance law. No matter how
specific the question or request for advice, they can usually answer it off the tops of their heads; or provide a thorough
written advice if required. Steadfast engages them as we believe they offer the most professional and comprehensive tools and
advice and it is very important to us that we provide the best available advice and services to our brokers. In our opinion,
The Fold is the most professional, best resourced firm that provides insurance broker specific compliance and contractual liability
advice and tools in Australia.
Steadfast Group, Allan Reynolds
Subject matter experts in financial services. They provide cost effective and practical advice.
Gallagher, Anthony Niardone
The Fold were experts in the subject matter. Where other firms provided irrelevant advice, The Fold provided practical, concise and relevant advice in a short timeframe.
Gow-Gates Insurance Brokers, Charles Gow-Gates